4/29/15

Thank you Candy Jars

Hi everyone.  You do know that there are no mistakes in crafting only opportunities for exploring new avenues, right?  How many times have you created something only to have it not turn out quite right?  What do you do?  How do you correct a mistake? 

This  candy jar was created from a mistake I made.  The product performed as it should. I just didn't read the directions properly!!  How often do we do that!



I have been working with  etchall dip 'n etch - love this stuff!  Dip 'n etch is a reusable liquid that creates a frosted appearance on glass surfaces.  I wanted to create some thank you gifts for a party so I placed outline stickers around a glass jar and, per the directions, placed the jar in the dip 'n etch for 15 minutes. 


 
After waiting the allotted time, I poured the dip 'n etch back into the bottle.  Then I removed the stickers and rinsed off the jar.  As it dried, this is the result.  Had I read the bottle of dip 'n etch more carefully, I would have known dip 'n etch crystallizes when it's cold.  And, it has been very cold here in New York.  Even though it is finally warming up, my studio is still pretty cold.  Had I warmed the bottle of dip 'n etch first, I would not have had this issue.

 
I knew I could not continue with the jar as I originally planned, so I pulled out some products from Earth Safe Finishes.  They carry some wonderful products and I thought I'd see if they could help me salvage my project.  I decided to use Berry Iridescents by Ann Butler and painted over the etched jar.  The dip 'n etch created a nice texture that allowed the Iridescents to adhere.  Look at what I was able to do!  You'd never know that I fixed a mistake now, would you! 




Next, I tied some sparkly Offray ribbon around the jar.


 
Then, I added a friendship stamp on the cap, placed some candy inside and a wonderful gift has been created.   I am definitely using this as my party thank you now.


 
So, what do you do when a project does not go as planned?  I'd love to know.
 
Steph

6 comments: